The temperatures are starting to climb here in the Valley. For many, this means it’s time to pack the bags and head to cooler climes. Whether you’re leaving your Arizona home for a few days or an entire season, it’s important to take some preventative measures to keep your home safe. The following strategies can help protect your home from potential criminals:
- Don’t Tip off Criminals on Social Media Social networking sites like Facebook are wonderful for sharing information about your life with friends and family. Unfortunately, criminals may also be interested in what you’re doing. Don’t be tempted to announce to your network that you’ll be going on vacation. It’s equivalent to telling would-be thieves that your house will be unattended. Share your vacation plans with only those who actually need to know. The others can enjoy your photos once you’ve returned.
- Consider Telling the Police There’s usually no reason to tell the authorities that you’re going on a weekend getaway. However, if you plan to be gone for longer than a week, it’s a good idea to let them know. In many smaller communities, they’ll be willing to drive by your house while on patrol.
- Get Someone to Help A neighbor or friend you trust can be very beneficial when you’re on vacation. Provide them with the name and number of your alarm company if you have an alarm, as well as the code to access your home. You’ll also want to give them a house key and instructions on how to check in on your house. This can include picking up newspapers in the driveway to raking leaves so the house doesn’t look uninhabited.
- Stop Your Mail A week’s worth of mail piled up in your mail box is a clear signal to a criminal that you’re not home. It’s fast and easy to put your mail on hold while out of town.
- Consider Security RollerShields If you travel frequently, it’s worth considering security RollerShields for the ultimate in home protection. These are retractable security aluminum-walled slat roller shutters that are mounted outside your home and operate from the inside to protect against intruders. RollerShields also offer 100% light, sun, and UV ray blockage. This can save you on your utility bill substantially while you’re away.
Want to learn more about Security RollerShields? Contact OuterWare for Windows at 480-894-0028.